Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Really Want a Hamburger..., or Do I?


I live in the suburbs of a major U.S. city. One of the joys of living where I live is the plethora of choice. Choice of what? Well...just of about anything. I recall days of driving along Roosevelt Rd and seeing the Burger King sign and thinking I would really love to have some of that. Then I remember that Taco Bell is just down the road a mile, I think that I desire that instead. Suddenly the thought of scrumptious little golden fried nuggets of chicken come dancing along into my mind. Who would not love to have a 9 piece Chicken McNugget from McDonalds?


What I am really trying to say? What is the big deal that we have so many choices? Before I go any further let me say that I believe the ability to have choice is a wonderful blessing. However the blessing can often cause confusion to what we truly desire. At the core we all desire what is good and truly satisfying. This is a gift of God for our enjoyment and for His glory. The question is what "things" do we desire for and what do we delight in.


Psalm 37:4 is a favorite of mine. It reads: "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Unfortunately I have heard this verse used in misguided ways. This verse does not say that if I desire to have $1 million that God will grant it if I desire Him. On the surface level that would be great. God would be like our magic genie that gives us what our selfish hearts want.


We know that things don't work that way. In life if we truly delight in something we will shape our lives around it. We will focus on it. Our values will change in such a way that we are put in position to get the maximum joy that is available for us. The Bible is full of language expressing that God is a treasure to be sought, or a jewel to be searched for. A relationship with God, made possible by the blood of Jesus on the cross, is our greatest good. It is the greatest thing that we can pursue.


When we pursue God like this it will shape our desires. We will no longer settle for what is cheap and leaves us feeling empty and unsatisfied. Our longing for God will increase and we will increasingly desire the things that are truly good and satisfying!

No comments: