Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reasonable Demands...unsettling thought

Two days in a row....woohoo! I am continuing with my thoughts on "The Indwelling Life of Christ. The chapter for today was "God's Reasonable Demands.
In Matthew 5:48 we are told to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. Every time I read this verse I gulp. I may not realize the depths of my depravity but I am keenly aware of my battle with sin.
Yet, Jesus calls us to be perfect. Truly we are saved by the finished work of Christ on the cross so it is completely unmeritorious that I can claim to have any favor before my heavenly Father. It is clear in the Scriptures that this is to lead to my sanctification. The goal of this is complete Christlikeness....my perfection.
Jesus was and is the image of the invisible God and Christ is to be formed in me. Gulp...the Bible makes it clear that we are to be light where this is darkness. We are to bring the light of Christ, which now is being formed in us through the power of the Holy Spirit, into the dark places. These may include our homes, neighborhoods, work places, schools, community centers, workout facilities, churches (yes these too), and the world beyond.
Because we are this image bearers, God's Demands are completely reasonable. It is reasonable because He created us, and He did so in His image.
It should not surprise us that His laws lived out through us are meant to shine forth what He is like. Though shall not murder. God is the creator of life, loves people, and prizes them. Because He loves people we should love people and live in such a way that shows that value.
I know that I am not there. As Paul writes in Philippians 3, may I "press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Heavenly Father, may I humbly press on toward the prize that awaits. I know that in my flesh that there is nothing good within me. Thank you that in Christ, I am a new creation, the old is gone, the new has come. Help me to die to my flesh every day that I may live a life that is being molded into a life that is being made new.
Amen

No comments: