Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rest in His Righteous Ways

When Doing Right is Wrong
The underlining question in today's reading was why do so many people/ministers experience burnout? This has been seen to be in issue in the church, at least, within the past 100 years. Major Thomas argues that we fail to enter Christ's rest, that can be experienced now, when we strive towards what we think to be right.
"So long as Christians are busy doing for God what is best in their own eyes, they will never enter into His rest and the true inheritance that is theirs to enjoy now. The will only be sweating it out, and end up weary, discouraged, depressed. The will likely become deeply cynical."
Jesus says, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matth. 11:28-30
Come "learn from me." This is the offer of our loving Lord and Savior. I know that far to often I get an idea or a felt conviction but do not take it to the Lord. I do not look to learn from Him. Just because I think that an idea or conviction is good in my eyes does not mean that it is right. It could very well be wrong and can lead to burnout and frustration.
So how do we keep from doing this? First, we need a deeply rooted conviction that God is sovereign over all His creation, including His mission in the world. Even with our greatest effort we cannot change a sinners heart or give life where there is no life. This is the work of God. We need to be intentional with our efforts but we need to prayerfully seek what is from God and what is not. Second, we need to consult God's Word. Is there a part of our plans/schemes that would conflict with a direct command of God causing a compromise in obedience to His declared truth. Third, we should seek wisdom from others. Maybe they see something that we do not and can help us from running into dead ends. Fourth, we need to commit all our plans to God. In doing this we allow him to close doors and say "no."
Sometimes this "no" can be very difficult but we need to believe that we have a good benevolent God who wants the best for His people. It is His desire that we find rest in His righteous ways.

No comments: